4" Hose
MikeP 04-12-2007
comment profile send pm notify

The new guy here again with another question. I have a contractor that wants me to pump the stem walls for the houses they are building in the  subdivision.  Being a contractor they are trying to save money on the concrete. I have a putzmeister kattkreeter and wondered if it would be able to handle the cheaper mix of concrete with a 4" hose. Do you think it would be worth my while to do something like that or should I pass? Any opinion appreciated.

typesdubs 04-12-2007
reply profile send pm notify

How much cheaper will it be for the contractor if it doesn't pump? Someone else said it best in another post, pumpable mix is inexpensive.

concrete animal 04-12-2007

WHO DOES HE THINK WILL DRAG ALL THAT 4" AROUND, NOT TO MENTION THE COST OF 4" YOU DONT WANT TO BUY IT JUST TO PLEASE HIM.  I JUST BOUGHT 3" I WON'T USE OFTEN AND AM KICKING MYSELF.

o 04-14-2007

There is no easy answer to this question. A mani piece of information which you left out was what mix design do the plans call for? That is what truly determines the overall costs for the job. The mix required will direct you as to which pump is required, a Pea Gravel or Hard rock pump. Typically a hard rock pump tends to run more expensive than a pea gravel pump job.But there does exist a happy medium. Using a pea gravel pump with a higher psi concrete mix will give you the easibility of a pea gravel pump with the strength of hard rock mix. Just make sure you have an expierenced operator at the helm, which I am sure we all are .......

MikeP 04-14-2007

Thanks again for all of the valuable information.