6 yearly strip down
lucky phil 03-24-2014
comment profile send pm notify

Looks like Victorian code of practice will most likly be changed requiring a complete strip down of all major boom and supporting structure components. Do other countries have simular requirements?

Personly i think its a good idea, but im not looking forward to the $50 000 plus bill to stip my 36 plus 8 weeks off the road.

Dipstick 03-25-2014
reply profile send pm notify

Wow.. I would be very surprised if we get that rule over here. I would deffenately sell the pump after 6 years to a country that doesn't have that rules..

lucky phil 03-25-2014

Every 6 years boom has to be removed all pins checked for size ands crack tested, all sections sand blasted and crack tested, all out riggers removed sand blasted and crack tested. Slew ring to be split and ball bearings checked and race ways checked. Slew gear box and slew brake to be opened up and checked. All hydraulic rams to be pulled apart and both ends of chrome rod to be crack tested, resealed and then pressure tested. Then after reassembly a function test and weight check by a qualified engineer. 

36m 03-26-2014

We have "CARB"

lucky phil 03-26-2014

What's carb? 

Dipstick 03-27-2014

Do cranes also have to do this? How do they expect you to make money with these kind of rules?

lucky phil 03-27-2014

Not 100% sure with the cranes but I think it's every 10 years. It's goin to kill the profit that's for sure, hopefully it will stop the undercutting though. 

PUMBO 03-27-2014

the six year rule applies because in the past Australia was a dumping ground for heavily used machinery. Importers where buying used machines from europe, americas and korea and selling them marked up around 600% what they were paying for them. They made a solid business out of tricking people some where even badged as Putzmeister at the time and had no relevance whatsoever. These machines had no history, id plate, compliances, quality and came from a very poor maintained background.

Today if your machine has proven ongoing maintenance, documentation, a service history and you can prove it the 6 year strip down can be avoided with competent annual inspections and there should be no objections as long as it passes inspection test conditions. You should really do some queries befoire you shell out that kind of money when your machine may not require it and a very optimistic 8 weeks downtime can stretch to over 6 months...just so you know

gboom 03-27-2014

the cost of such an inspection, wether its a complete tear down or not, needs to be spread out over the time period, this is where the accounting department comes in. what this also tells me is, that if you cannot afford either inspection cost or maintenance, you cannot operate a pump, and this kind weeds out the guys who are trying to slide by, possibly operating an unsafe unit on jobsites

lucky phil 03-27-2014

Your right pumpbo, I bought a pump re taged as a putz for my first machine, it was so bad the bushes had 6 mm of oval. Fast learning curve! This rule for 6 year is more for the union sites with national accreditation at the moment, a proposal was put foswather I the  standards board last year and is still being argued about. Some ohs reps has got wind of it and are pushing it as law already. 

lucky phil 03-27-2014

That's half the reason I think it's a good idea gboom, Melbourne has been flooded with pumps the last five years going out cheaper and cheaper. Hopefully now prices go back up. 

PUMBO 03-28-2014

Pump prices will never go up as long as people are not using their own money to buy them. In saying this if your financing a machine thats not your money, who cares if you pay premium and it sells at junkyard prices at repo auction. Those years of high pump prices are gone - and you have the banks to thank for that. There was this craze a few years ago that NEW was BEST...now we learn that NEW does not mean Maintenance free! All those guys on high finance have run their gear down not shelling out money to keep them in order, smart bsuinessman to make money would never buy a concrete pump of allthings from an AUCTION. You should buy used machinery from a reputable entity.

Back to 6 yearly, its a good idea, but it should be a requirement before job commencement that the machine must be throroghly inspected first and determined if its to excessively worn before going down that route.

FYI, cylinders do not need to stripped and assembled. You do not want to disurb original equipment seals and threads if not required. Most cylinders esp if they are old can be damaged by over ethusiastic dismantlling procedures especially heat! The cylinders should only be crack tested at the pushing and pulling section knuckles and barrel ends, and cylinder monoblocks should be tested which is relatively easy process. Boom should not be completely sandblasted only at critical areas around cylinder arm pushing and pulling and that can be eddy current as a guide around all pins and bushes that take load. If there is damage when its all dissassembled it will have evidence. Support arms should be visually inspected and tested before dismantling, welding procedure based on same type type consumable as parent metal and preheat based on manufacturer service information. Use only genuine approved parts on all boom components and load bearing devices such as retaining pins for support arms, seals and BOLTS! Dont assume the local hardware shop that has the same bolt that looks the same is the same quality. Replace all safety decals and identificatiuon tags of controls with original if they are perished, hydraulic lines steel and hose on boom that are damaged or worn must be replaced...

PUMBO 03-28-2014

gboom you raise a good point but if the australian (better yet - world!) standards focused more on having experienced operators who are familiar with and adhere to the operating and maintenance instructions rather than ignorant here today gone tomorow money grabbers, there would be less incidents as they would operate the gear more efficiently. The problem in most cases is not the machine but the person behind the controls really showing no respect to such a complex piece of machinery nor the people around the machine. They should focus on regulate traineeship better than a one day assessment to get your boom license. That wouldalmost guarantee you got what you are worth on site.

lucky phil 03-28-2014

Pumpbo, I did hear that the rams only need pressure testing rather than pulled apart. Also there's some argument weather the slew ring needs to be pulled apart. As our machine was built here in Australia by Callaghan we have decided to have it refurbished by them! Can't beat a full factory refurb! 

PUMBO 03-28-2014

see thats part of your problem because callaghan is a pump assembled here in australia,you have to adhere to australian standards which includes 6 yearly. Their design specification would 'probably' state strip down every 6 years.

Now if you had a putz for example they have annual, 6 monthly and 3 monthly inspections as their inspection program you can argue that manufacturer standards supercede the australian standards. thats a big advantage. I would imagine powercrete designed for 6 year standard too esp with those nightmare antonelli booms. You really have to do research and see what manufacturer specs in regards to design life of concrete pumps.

slow 03-28-2014

putz say 15 years life of pump think schwing same

PUMBO 03-28-2014

7000 Pumping hours that is major overhaul. You cant put age as factor

JABA 03-29-2014

I agree %100

MANUFACTURERS SPECIFICATIONS

MACHINE HOURS MUST BE RULE .

If you are a multi owner , and 2 of the machines are doing 50hours a year , how can you strip??. (INSANE)

You buy a new machine in Australia = 700K -900k +

You going to strip it in 6 years , you better cut your cock off now YOU BE BETTER OFF.

WHO THE F--K IS WRITTING  AUSTRALIAN STANDARDS ???

WHAT DO THEY MAKE IN AUSTRALIA???? VEGEMITE..............

JABA 03-29-2014

Yeah Lucky phil, see how lucky you are when Callahan give you an education $$$$$$$$

with that refurb you might be better off buying another machine??

Best of luck Austarlia is full of sharks take care out there......

slow 03-29-2014

15 years at 30000 meters ayear in putzs books

lucky phil 03-29-2014

I did look into buying a new machine, but at the end if the day we own this one outright and it never let's us down. It did over 600 cubic metres of low shrink in two days last week without a problem! Im hearing you about all the sharks in Australia jaba, but alway found the Callaghan family to be honest and happy to help, very handy being able to talk directly to the man  that designed and built your machine! 

ShortStik 03-29-2014

JABA

I'm in Canada.  The books are writen by the catastropic failures and injuries/deaths on site, whatever the cause.

PUMBO 03-30-2014

So 7000 i was told once was right in the park, at least practically at 65 cubic meters actual pumped concrete per hour on average.

PUMBO 03-30-2014

Accidents can happen with or without the machine being torn apart for expensive inspection techniques. JABA RAISES AN INTERSTING TOPIC.

What the people who make the standards wont tell you is the HORROR stories. Like: getting a machine stripped down and being hit with and $70,000 repair bill and 8 continuous months out of work. You cant recoup that kind of loss no matter who you are. Being promised one thing and getting frustrated because you've been lied to can hurt.