61 schwing
stink21 11-18-2010
comment profile send pm notify

my company just bought a 61 schwing an man that thing is huge..b4 this the biggest id ever seen first hand was a 52 an ive seen alot of pics b4 of them but damn it makes a 52 look small weve only ran it once but it seem pretty smooth an i think once it gets out that we have it work will pick up with it cause theres not anything that big around here..for those of you that have ran similar machines what do u guys think of them?

"MUDDY" 11-18-2010
reply profile send pm notify

I ran a 61 schwing in Charlotte,N.C. for 4 years. it was a pretty cool machine. Didn't really care for the 4 1/2 inch pipe. The propulsion of the concrete combined with the enormous amount of "flex" in the boom will create alot of bounce. The only thing that keeps the tip section from just collapsing is the boom pipe. You will see when you stretch it flat out. There will be an arch in that tip section that is unbelievable. It will make you think about ever standing under it.

davidh 11-19-2010

dont like them something wrong about a pump that has the same front outriggers for a 52 58 &61

cp1 11-19-2010

Don't listen to the people who are giving their tips on the engineering of the boom or outriggers.  Smart people with engineering education and training are always better at making machines than some half-hungover pump operators.  The machine is sweet, the best big boom out there, and we have a lot of big booms.  Neither schwing nor putz would ever put out an underengineered piece of eqpt.  One thing to do right away if it hasn't been done yet is switch the bolt clamps at the end of the 6 to 5 reducer so it takes M14 bolts instead of the M12 bolts which comes with it.  M12 is just too small and if you're pumping hard consistently, the bolts will break in half.  They're M14 if they take a 12 mm allen and they're M12 if they take a 10mm allen.  Other than that the best big boom in my opinion.  Also, I won't get into it, but read the vector schematic, and learn how to jump the e-stops on the card, then wire in a switfch to bypass them electrically.  It's a lot easier than running 61 meters from the hand valves.

FunnyBoom 11-19-2010

I love ours. Very solid pump when you get a good set up which can be tough sometimes. The deflection in the boom is crazy but no different than any other long boom really. Just watch out when your remote battery dies on you or you lose signal because the hose will be 10 feet in the air before you know it! With our mix here it absolutely hates adding any system. Stays pressured out quite a bit. I have put the whoop ass on a couple of putz 63 and 61 with it on base mat pours and big wall pours.

Dipstick 11-19-2010

Yea. That I think is the biggest difference between smaler pumps and big booms. That enormous deflection in the boom. You can't just swich on the pump and turn around. Have to keep pulling up untill you got a steady flow.

It's like a very long weak fishingstick.. Bends like hell. Sometimes I had a crazy hoseman that suddely pushed realy hard against the hose and took it on his shoulder. Than he would just bend the boom and just when he put the hose on his shoulder the boom bended back, almost breaking his back :-o Than he would shout at me that I always pull the hose back at axactly the wrong moment.. Try to explain that :-)

Step Brother 11-19-2010

Keep a 4 1/2 tip hose on it. Alot of people complain about the 4.5 pipe, I never noticed any problems due to it. The tip section bends like crazy and ill keep you on your toes all the time. The batt dieing thing will make the hose come up 6-8 feet and still be draining and splatter everywhere. You will never get the high rates that alot of people want. Mine ran best at about 120-130yph with a hoseman, any faster and he better take a walk.

Swinging around to recycle takes forever, and the boom drains alot. If you dont have a full (FULL) hopper, you cant recirculate, there wont be enough mud.

If you dont have balanced outrigger pressure and one of them comes off the ground, even an inch, she gonna bounch like a bitch. I never tried shortrigging the fronts, but did the rears all the time. 42 ft wide is alot of real estate to take up. Ran best when above the 6th floor, been as high as 18

I wouldnt ever try priming system with anything but grout. I bet it would do it, but never tried.

Weave 11-20-2010

It is everything the other guys have said about it and more. It will keep you attention level pretty high. When the slumps are consistent you can get it on but hold on if it changes alot. It's like shaking a lite weight fishing pole. So never turn your back on it.

toper 11-20-2010

i like the 58 myself, all 5" pipe and solid as a rock, too much bounce on the 61,

typesdubs 11-21-2010

Anyone ever tried putting the hose in the hopper without swinging it around? Once was told that you can because of the offset in #3 but haven't tried it yet? Sure would save a ton of swinging

FunnyBoom 11-21-2010

I Have never tried it but I'm sure it would work.

Dipstick 11-21-2010

Only problem I can see is that you might drop some crete on your truck or boom..

Justapumper 11-21-2010

Well if you operate it just remember dunnage, dunnage, dunnage. The most important part is the setup. These beasts are not at all tolerant of being light on the backside. Just read the ACPA book and the majority of the critical test questions are about setup and, for a good reason.

Weave 11-21-2010

Yes , you can get it in the hopper to recirculate.  It's tight but it can be done. If you kink the hose you won't dribble on yourself.

gboom 11-21-2010

ours has been pumping since 2004, still going out everyday (...almost); cp1: to keep the clamp from breaking the bolts, I welded an extra u-bolt right after the double 90 and also right before, at the end of the 6-5 reducer (welding was done by certified boom inspector); it also helps to use a higher grade bolt, 10.9 or even 12.9, but I have not seen a broken bolt since I added these u-bolts; I think on newer pumps Schwing changed the design

stink21 11-21-2010

thanks for the replys..what about the memphis area has it picked up any cause were thinking of moving the truck there or somewhere in the area