8 Months after accident with the concrete pump
Boomtish 06-19-2011
comment profile send pm notify

Hey all,

It sure has been many moons since I last have been on this site, I've been battling alot of shit/depression over the last 8 months since the accident with my fingers during washing out.

You can find the details at http://www.concretepumping.com/admin.php?mode=cpboard&act=topic&go=view&topicid=8038&adsess==

It has been 8 months since it happened and I've not returned back to work and I'm really feeling down about this, I'm still on Workcover and I'm dying to get myself back out and pumping again but I got a feeling this will not happen again for me :( I wanted to know how people handle this kind of thing, there was a pumper on this site(I think Boony) he was back pumping after 3 months! I'm just feeling down and angry about what is happening!

My fingers are all attached, there will be more operations on my fingers soon as I just had another operation on my ring finger to remove the metal plate/screws so I can get my ring finger more straight and more movements as it was restricting the movements due to the plate being right close to the joints. I don't have full function of my fingers yet and I was told I would be looking at some permanent disability with all of my three fingers.

I thought I would give you guys updates on my fingers and let you know where I'm standing at now. I have uploaded alot of photos/X-rays of my fingers onto a website for all of you guys at Concretepumping.com to look at.

http://s1141.photobucket.com/albums/n592/Boomtish/
Brendan

Dipstick 06-19-2011
reply profile send pm notify

That realy sucks for you mate.. Must be a pain. I can imagine it should be possible to drive a pump with no more than 2 fingers on one hand as long as you get a good chance. But I guess you might have quite some pain so it won't be so easy yet. I know several that at least drive mixer trucks with only one finger on one hand.

Remember 8 months is not a lifetime. I was out 6 months with only 2 'tennis' arms. quite depressing but you have to hang in there. 1 year on a life time is not so much. You'll get 'better' again.. Economy will go up again and you'll get back in the industry again as long as you want it bad enough. Maybe drive a mixer for a wile??  

Whenever I feel down like that I always listen to this song.. Maybe it helps for you to ;-)    http://youtu.be/7Uc8KPSIzAc

Hang in there!! It will get better again. After rain comes sunshine :-)

Todd 06-19-2011

Here I will recap the story so everyone does not have to jump around the site and face book.

I've been pondering wether I should post this or not all week. Anyways here it goes...

There was an accident during wash out involving a concrete pump, this operator received serious bodily injuries. His fingers received a crush injury, near amputation to index finger, three broken bones, two dislocated fingers.

The operator had turned the pump on stop and engaged E-stop. Did not turn the truck off or released any accumulated hydraulic/air pressure.

The operator then put his hand inside the outlet port of the hopper to remove a big chunk of dried up concrete from the swing tube, mind you this operator knows this is very forbidden but did not have a half-moon swing tube rake.

After a few mins from turning the pump off the swing tube switched to the other side, trapping the operators fingers between the S-tube and the cylinders. He was stuck for approx twenty seconds before asking someone to turn the truck off which the S-tube dropped thus releasing the operators fingers.

The Operator had to go under 15hours operation for micro surgery for his fingers. He has been stuck in hospital for 11 days and still be for apron 1 more week.

This happened on the 7/10/10 and which also is the operators girlfriends birthday. Hah!

Sadly, This operator is me. I'm doing well, so is my fingers, i have movement and can feel my middle finger but numbness on the other two. Photos of mangled fingers can be put on this site if anyone wants to see.

I'm very sorry this has happened and regret a little bit.

Todd 06-19-2011

Here are the pictures of the busted up fingers

Todd 06-19-2011

Todd 06-19-2011

Todd 06-19-2011

Here some pictures of the healing fingers.

Todd 06-19-2011

Todd 06-19-2011

Todd 06-19-2011

Man we all feel for you. Be strong.

Boomtish 06-19-2011

Thank you Todd for recap! I wasn't sure if I should post them all again. Thank you again!

Dipstick, I would love to listen but unfortunately I'm profoundly deaf! But thanks :)

I'm trying to stay strong but somedays it can be overwhelming when trying to get on with life and doing everyday things with limit use of my fingers.

Tank 06-19-2011

Boomtish
Hang in there. Hope this helps

Dipstick 06-20-2011

Ok.. Here with lyrics then ;-)  http://youtu.be/5Z91n5Vskjg

Todd 06-20-2011

Ok tank you made me tear up with that one.

Boomtish 06-22-2011

Tank,

I know Nick, he used to goto my school and he was in the same year level as I was. We had a few classes together. He loves playing handball with us and he was a really great guy and he didn't have any burden about for who he was.